Wednesday, September 11, 2019

(Mythras WoW) Terror of Tinytown

While pondering how I want to go about this Mythras WoW project I've had a lingering doubt about it all.
Reading some of the official 3.X rulebooks failed to inspire... in fact, I think it kind of clouded my enthusiasm. It reminded me of the whole 'character build' aspect of WoW that I never enjoyed.

Then, today, I started looking into another aspect of the MMO that I always found peculiar... the map.
WoW is a video game with a video game's limitations. Cities are tiny, villages consist of a small handful of buildings. There are farms... but only a few... and there are very scary places within spitting distance of happy little inns. The whole thing is too damn small.
But that's something I can probably deal with... other people online have jumped on the problem and offered some useful ideas.

Then there's the issue that the climates of these places don't make any sort of real world sense... Northrend IS cold and it IS in the North... but that's about it. There's otherwise little or no plausible geography going on here... and that's NOT something I'm interested in trying to correct, I might as well make up an entirely new map.

But is that really an issue anyway? Probably not. My idea of running the game is not focused on world-spanning 'epic' adventures. It's not something I'd want to run for years on end either.

So I guess I'm just coming to terms with the sillier aspects of taking this on as a project... checking with myself to see if it's something I want to keep on with... asking myself if I might just rather build my own WoW-inspired setting from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment