Sunday, September 8, 2019

(Mythras Warcraft) So THIS is why I never got into third edition!

I bit the bullet last night and read through the official Warcraft 3.X entry on Warlocks... and... WTF?!!
Now, I never did engage with D&D past first edition. By that time I'd moved on to Runequest and Traveller and other stuff. All I knew of 3e was what elements of it were implemented in the Neverwinter Nights games on my computer... and I didn't much care for the mechanical elements of those. I'm not a 'character build' sort of guy.
Yet I'm trying to cram an MMO into Mythras...
Truly, I wasn't that sort of WoW player either. I'd blunder along, picking whatever powers sounded cool. I wanted to level up to see more content, that's all.

Anyway, the 3.X version of Warlocks was not inspiration for me.
Firstly, it's lumped into a general 'Arcanist' class... which covers 3 paths: Mages, Necromancers, and Warlocks (were there necromancers in WoW? Not that I recall). So they're saying that Warlocks are an offshoot of arcane magic... OK, I can live with that... though in WoW lore the first Warlocks were created from Orc Shamans... so that whole spirit angle goes unsung.

Secondly, and this bit did put me off, the description of the Warlock's abilities are just a dense mass of pluses and minuses... with a number of them aimed at the concerns of multi-classing. Why would a Warlock ever want to multiclass? He/She is a fucking Warlock! Best of the best! (I see Warlocks as necessarily arrogant, considering their chosen path).
There's nothing at all about using Soul Shards to fuel their summonings. The whole section is pretty flavorless.

Thirdly, the spell list is a bland collection of vanilla D&D spells that might kindasorta go with Warlocks. Unseen Servant and Summon Monster I-X. There nothing like Curse of Agony or Curse of Weakness. True, there is Soul Stone and Eye of Kilrogg... and there is a Drain Life and Drain Soul spell (why does Drain Soul cost XP to use?)... but AFAICT Soul Shards gained from Drain Soul are just for creating Soul Stones.
Oh, and Death Coil is a spell... but it's for Necromancers...

I'm still digging into the rulebook... seeing what there is to see... but I'm not getting much so far.








No comments:

Post a Comment